The International Hockey League (IHL) is pleased to announce the addition of the Evansville IceMen, who will begin play within the next two years in the IHL. The Board of Governors unanimously awarded a member club to EI Acquisition, LLC which is owned by Ron Geary. Mr. Geary is the owner of Ellis Park Race Track, which he acquired from Churchill Downs in September 2006 and the Evansville IceMen, who currently play in the All-American Hockey League (AAHL). Further information regarding the Evansville IceMen will be available in the next few months.
The following items were also discussed during the three-day meetings, which were held in Las Vegas, Nevada:
* The IHL Board of Governors created a three member search committee for the next Commissioner that will consist of Tim Leighton (Bloomington), Rich Bruner (Dayton) and Jeff Patulski (Muskegon). The committee has set a goal of naming the new Commissioner by September 1.
* The Executive Committee for the 2009-2010 season will be as follows: Chairman of the Board, Michael Franke (Fort Wayne) and Vice Chairmen's of the Board, Frank Kinney (Port Huron) and Tim Leighton (Bloomington
* The expansion draft for the new member club will be held Friday, June 26th. Each member club may protect thirteen skaters (13) and one goaltender, losing a maximum of three players.
* The league will conduct an expansion draft for the new member clubs within the next 10 days. A dispersal draft of the Kalamazoo Wings players rights will be held shortly after the expansion draft.
* The 2009-2010 IHL schedule will be completed by mid-July.
* The IHL will continue with the standard set forth regarding officiating, however, there will be a greater emphasis on the calls made for aggressive stick penalties (i.e. slashing, cross checking).
"We have been very pleased with the direction of the officiating,” said Brad Jones, VP of Hockey Operations. “This is an area that we feel strongly needs to be addressed for the upcoming season.”
* Member Clubs will be allowed to dress 19 players (17 skaters, 2 goaltenders) for a game. The active roster will be at a maximum of 20 active players. Last season, only 18 players were allowed to dress per game and 21 players were allowed on the active roster.
* Member Clubs are allowed to carry a maximum of eight (8) veterans for the 2009-2010 season. In the previous seasons, member clubs were allowed to dress a maximum of seven (7).
* The IHL has eliminated the six (6) game requirement for players to qualify for a position on the post season roster.
* "Due to the enormity of the agenda, the board will reconvene via teleconference in the next few days,” stated Michael Franke, IHL Chairman of the Board. “We look forward to announcing additional exciting news concerning the IHL in the near future."