* Bobby Phillips is having shoulder surgery tomorrow to repair a torn labrum. He's also been accepted to IPFW's nursing school. No one seems to know what will mean yet for his chances to play. He believes he might be able to do it, Komets aren't so sure.
* The only players the Komets have not protected on their list are Guy Dupuis, Brandon Warner, Derek Patrosso and Michael Ratchuk and Matt Krug (AHL contracts). Patrosso has taken a job selling pharmaceuticals. The list gets pared to eight by July 18, but players you have already signed do not count against the eight.
* The season will start Oct. 21 and the Komets will likely open at home on Oct. 22.
* Revenue sharing? It has been discussed as an option, but is unlikely to happen and was never seriously considered.
* Bet the house that the playoff format will be eight teams and thus three rounds.
* I've talked to a few more owners on the AA level and they say the average budgets are anywhere from $2.5 millon to $4 million and they'd like them to get to between $1.8 and $2.5 million. There aren't a ton of teams around $4 million, but there are a handful.
* Schedule looks like a mid-July release. Still hearing anywhere from 12-14 teams, but it's getting late.