According to Komets General Manager David Franke, the team expects to hear a decision tomorrow from center J.C. Ruid. If he decides to go elsewhere (I've heard Chicago), the Komets have a back-up plan in place for another veteran forward.
The deal is, Ruid is still considering going to Europe, and the Komets don't want to get stuck with another Mark Smith situation with a player leaving during the season.
* The players have started informal workouts at McMillen Park Ice Arena and will be out there every morning next week.
* The Komets won't say anything about whom they are getting from Hershey yet. What if that player makes the Bears? If he does, the Bears are committed to helping the Komets find another defenseman. Hershey does have a ton of rookies coming into camp.
* The Komets are not sendng anyone to camp with Hershey or Bridgeport. That was an option for a couple of players they were looking to sign, but they chose to sign elsewhere.
* At this time, it doesn't look like Komets coach Pat Bingham is going to attend any AHL training camps.
* Because the NHL has adopted it, the UHL is also adopting a new rule that allows a 3/4-inch curve on sticks compared the the previous 1/2-inch. The UHL will not be adopting the rule that allows the home team to choose whether to shoot first or second in the shootout, which I think would be huge since the road team shoots first and the team that scores first wins about 75 percent of the shootouts.