And they're off...
* Bruce Richardson is not here yet. His wife Julie had a baby boy, Ty, on Wednesday. He'll be here tomorrow and the family will join him in two weeks. Everybody is doing fine.
* Martin Aubin is not skating in practice. Will try to find out more. Maybe he failed his physical.
* For those worried about the Komets not having a heavyweight, I don't think Pascal Morency cares what they weigh. He weighs 200 pounds, but got up to about 208 this summer with all the weightlifting. Because he didn't feel comfortable at that weight, Morency cut back on the weights and spent the extra time boxing six days a week. He's almost as wide as he is tall, and it's all muscle.
* For the third drill of camp, coach Pat Bingham had the players standing in front of the net trying to redirect shots and crash the crease. That's one way to set a tone.
* Everyone is very anxious and excited, especially Bingham, who is still nervous and unsure about what he's got so far. If he wasn't, then I'd be worried.
``I feel like a rookie,'' he said. ``It's Day 1, and we've got 10 days to get ready for that first game.''