* Colin Chaulk played on a line with Rick Varone and either Olivier Legault or Sean O'Connor during practice. O'Connor is not yet ready to return to the lineup. Chaulk played mostly center, but he also took a few shifts on the wing with either Varone or O'Connor at center.
* Komets coach Al Sims said he plans on keeping normal defenseman Jake Pence at the wing for the near future. “He's the best skater on the team probably and I think we can utilize his speed more up front than we can on defense,” Sims said. “Hopefully he can start to finish around the net a little bit, but if he doesn't, he's a very good defensive forward to have that maybe can shut down other teams' top lines.”
* Vince Tarantino will not be returning to the lineup the rest of the season, though he is still on the team and will continue to practice. He just can't get his hip and groin injuries up to 100 percent, and anytime he comes close they go out on him again. Tarantino would still qualify as a rookie for next season, and the Komets are very interested in him.
* The Komets have an abundance of centers right now with Chaulk, Mathieu Curadeau, Leo Thomas, O'Connor and Varone. "I think it helps to have lots of centers," Sims said. "I'd rather have more of them than wingers. Centers can always play wing, but wingers can't always play center. We have five or so guys who can slip in for faceoffs, and it always helps on PK."
* Nick Boucher has some gorgeous new pads he's been working out with that he