Since I don't plan on posting over the next few days, I thought I'd come up with this to occupy some of your time. I tried to get a mixture of old and recent, with a heavy emphasis on recent, especially since 1990. The grand prize to the person with the most correct answers will be a stick signed by the entire Komets team. Because there's a prize, you must copy and paste your answers and e-mail them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If there's a tie, (which I expect) we'll hold a drawing.
Some of these should be pretty easy if you've been reading The News-Sentinel over the past couple of years or so. You might be able to find answers to most of these in special News-Sentinel publications about the Komets from over the past 10 years or so. That's a major hint, by the way.
The deadline will be 3 p.m. Tuesday. Any decision of the judge is final (but he can definitely be bribed).
1. What year did the Komets last play on Christmas? Check out Saturday's paper because the answer won't be on-line.
2. How many pairs of twin brothers have played for the Komets? This one is very easy if you don't think too hard because the number is very appropriate.
3. How many players are left on the Fort Wayne roster from the Komets' 2003 Colonial Cup championship team?
4. What former Komet played in three Olympics? Here's a hint: He's the oldest former Komet who is still active as a player.
5. What three former Komets have won Olympic gold medals? It will be a miracle if you don't get the first two.
6. Who was the last Komets coach to be suspended for a game?
7. Besides Steve Gainey, who is the other UHL Komet to make it to the NHL?
8. Everyone knows Rob Guinn set up Jonathan Goodwin for the series-winning goal in overtime of Game 7 against Rockford last year. Who got the other assist? Take a guess.
9. Josh VanderBreggen had the second-longest last name of any Komet ever. Who had the longest?
10. Who said: “I've heard it all about the weight. I just let it bounce off me." Hint: he was a goaltender.
11. What former Komets coach got kicked out of a game for doing a striptease?
12. Who said: "To me the scars didn't matter. I would do anything to win."
13. Who said: "My shot couldn't break out of a wet paper bag."
14. An easy one. Who said: "H---, no, it's not mandatory! You all gotta be there."
15. Who said this when describing the Memorial Coliseum: “It's like a minor-league Chicago Stadium."
16. Who said: "The only friends I'll have when I leave the game are the guys on the last team I played on."
17. In regard to the 1990-91 Komets, who said: "Nobody wanted us. We were the Dirty Dozen of hockey."
18. Who said: "When Fletchie's suits up, the whole team plays bigger."
19. What former Komet is the mayor of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan?
20. What former Komet is now an NHL referee?