• Twitter
  • Facebook
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

A private in the 52nd Regiment

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 10:24 am

Dr. William Hause was born Dec. 20, 1837. He had nine siblings, was reared on a farm and began reading medicine at age 19 under the guidance of Dr. Alfred Force of Hayden, Ind. He attended Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, from 1857 to 1858. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the 52nd Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered into the service in Indianapolis and elected 2nd lieutenant of his company. His command was assigned to the Army of Tennessee. The regiment fought at Fort Donaldson and was in the seige of Corinth and engagements near Memphis, Fort Pillow and Vicksburg, and participated in the chase after (Sterling) Price into Missouri in 1864. It later served in operation against (Lt. Gen. John Bell) Hood at Nashville. He was mustered out of the service in Eastport, Miss., on Jan. 3, 1865. He returned home by way of Indianapolis, having an honorable discharge.

— William Hause, Fort Wayne

City clerk's father rose through the ranks

John Landis Jefferies, father of the former city clerk, William Thomas Jefferies, was born Feb. 3, 1829, in Lancaster County, Pa. He died Jan. 6, 1901, in Cincinnati and is buried in Spring Grove Cemetery.

He mustered into service April 25, 1861, at Philadelphia in Company E. 17th P.V.I. for a period of three months. He was 32 years old at the time of enlistment. Rank Private, mustered Aug. 2, 1861.

He mustered into service Dec. 10, 1861, at Philadelphia in Company E 115th P.V.I. for a period of three years and was appointed quartermaster sergeant the same date. Detached for recruiting duty for May, June, July and August. Promoted to second lieutenant Sept. 25, 1862, and reassigned to Company G, 115th P.V.I. Jointed Regiment Oct. 9, 1862.

He remained with the regiment until being wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville, Va., on May 3, 1863. The wound was to the right hand; the bullet entered the outside of the hand and passed through the palm. He was absent with leave May and June and returned to the regiment in July.

In command of Company B, Sept. 1, 1863, and promoted to first lieutenant Sept. 4, 1863. In command of Company K, November and December 1863. On unknown detached service in Philadelphia for January and February 1864. He was promoted to the rank of captain Jan. 20, 1864, near Brandy Station, Va., and officially transferred from G Company to K Company.

He received a gunshot wound in the right arm May 6, 1864, during the Battle of the Wilderness and was admitted to the Volunteer Officers Hospital in Washington, D.C. He received a furlough May 11, 1864 and rejoined the regiment June 5, 1864.

115th P.V.I. disbanded June 22, 1864. Companies K, B and E transferred to 110th P.V.I. outside Petersburg, Va. He stayed with the regiment until discharged Oct. 24, 1864.

— Timothy Jefferies, Fort Wayne