The weasels in D.C. government are responding to the Supreme Court's Heller decision with proposed rules showing they truly do not get it:
Here's what they're proposing:
- Allowing an exception for handgun ownership for self-defense use inside the home.
- If you want to keep a handgun in your home, the MPD will have to perform ballistic testing on it before it can be legally registered.
- There will be a limit to one handgun per person for the first 90 days after the legislation becomes law.
- Firearms in the home must be stored unloaded and disassembled, and secured with either a trigger lock, gun safe, or similar device. The new law will allow an exception for a firearm while it is being used against an intruder in the home.
- Residents who legally register handguns in the District will not be required to have licenses to carry them inside their own homes.
How grateful D.C.'s citizens must be. They will be allowed to use a handgun -- one that's been taken to the police for ballistic testing, of course -- against an intruder in the home, after they've taken it from the gun safe, assembled it and loaded it. Sure hope there are some slow intruders in the nation's capital.